Therapeutic Spiral Model (TSM) Psychodrama: Theory & Practice with Trauma. How TSM Works. Foundations and Expansions.
Module 7. Making Friends with Defenses with Sylvia Israel
This module focuses on the Defenses people use at the time of trauma to protect themselves and to ensure survival, which then become part of the trauma-survivor’s role repertoire into adulthood. Categories of defenses include: survival, obsessions, compulsions, addictions and eating disorders, as well as those that are simply maladaptive, but deeply rooted. While they worked initially, we see how they can become pathological when they are no longer needed and do not support growth — i.e., true spontaneity and creativity.
Module 7 of 11 in the foundation course on TSM. Students may purchase one separate module or the whole course of 11 modules with a bundle discount. For: psychodramatists, psychologists, mental health professionals working with trauma, therapists, and social workers.
Participants will be able to:
-Identify the Defenses types and understand defense mechanisms that develop following trauma, including: survival, obsessions, compulsions, addictions and eating disorders, as well as maladaptive coping skills.
-Identify and name their personal defenses that are used most frequently and how to transform them into higher order coping skills.
-Identify the ways to support people who have had to use defenses to survive trauma and violence to develop more adaptive support systems.
-Learn how to contain defenses such as addictions and eating disorders to prevent relapse and promote post-traumatic growth.
-Direct the TSM Action Intervention of the Manager of Defenses, both with individuals and groups, to combat the effects of personal trauma as well as institutionalized violence.
-Describe how they will apply learning from this workshop in their professional setting(s).
-Direct Circle of Strengths in individual or group settings;
-Direct work with Defenses
-Putting Down Your Defense for Today by Sylvia Israel
-Psychodrama Structure: Finding the Manager of Defenses by Sylvia Israel
-Defenses Charade and Role Play by Sylvia Israel
-Defenses and the Role of the Manager of Defenses by Kate Hudgins & Francesca Toscani
· Video lectures - 24 min
· Video Demonstration - 52 min
· Handouts - 19 min
· Practicum - 30 min
Breaks - 25 min
Each 50 min of content requires a 10 min break that will be included in your total certified hours
Hours for Certificate
· 2:30 Hours Total
Information on Continuing Education Credits
Psychodrama professional certification training hours:
• American Board of Examiners - ABE accepts a maximum of 120 training hours for psychodrama distant learning. This module/course will count as asynchronous distance-learning as long as the primary trainer approves it.
• Psychodrama Association for Europe e.V.: We are working on getting board approval and will update this information shortly.
• International Boards: You may be able to submit this certificate to your local Psychodrama board. Please contact your respective local board for information.
To obtain Psychodrama training hours:
a) Pass the test with at least 70% correct
b) Fill in the survey
Experiential training hours:
• International Society of Experiential Professionals: ISEP accepts experiential training hours administered by a TEP trainer. More information will be provided shortly.
Social workers, Marriage and Family Therapists, and Professional Counselors:
• We are working on getting board's approvals and will update this information shortly.
• You may be able to submit this certificate for credits in other mental health disciplines. Please contact your local board for information.
(100 Days Access)
*Recommended Videos Not Included in Total Hours for Certificate
- Recommended video to watch Healing Trauma with the Therapeutic Spiral Model. Interview with Dr. Hudgins. Part 1 of 3.
- Recommended video to watch Healing Trauma with the Therapeutic Spiral Model. Interview with Dr. Hudgins. Part 2 of 3.
- Recommended video to watch Healing Trauma with the Therapeutic Spiral Model. Interview with Dr. Hudgins. Part 3 of 3.
- Putting Down Your Defense for Today by Sylvia Israel. (3:00 min)
- Psychodrama Structure: Finding the Manager of Defenses by Sylvia Israel. (3:00 min)
- Defenses Charade and Role Play by Sylvia Israel. (3:00 min)
- Defenses and the Role of the Manager of Defenses by Kate Hudgins & Francesca Toscani. (4:00 min)
- Break (10 min)
Therapeutic Spiral Model (TSM) Psychodrama: Theory & Practice with Trauma. How TSM works. Foundations and Expansions. 11 modules
TSM modified classical psychodrama, combined with the attachment theory and recent research in interpersonal neurobiology. Incorporating trauma theory to ensure safe applications while working with trauma. By taking this course you bring containment and structure into your work.
May we send you a biweekly newsletter?
When subscribed you will ONLY receive info on:
V Invitations for free limited-space courses
V Free video releases
V Newly released courses and discounts
V Invitations to our events
You will NOT receive: